August 1, 2010

Just because I am a woman...

does NOT mean I am stupid! So let me explain. I went to an office store today that gives teachers a discount. I decided to buy a new chair for my desk. Mine is a hand me down and has been broken for a while. I realized I could get a nice $90 chair for $54 with my teacher discount! So I bought the chair. Then Ty and I went to my mom's house for lunch. She said she'd help me put the chair together. We followed the directions and I used the allen wrench and we put the chair together. Now the back of the chair was crooked. One side leaned into the arm rest. So I took the back off and mom and I looked at it and it was on the metal bracket crooked. Not that I had screwed it in crooked. It was defective. So I said let me try again. Put it together, still crooked. We take the chair into the office store and they agree it is crooked. So a man takes it apart and puts it back together because "I did it wrong". Yeah...so about 30 minutes later Terry sees him get the floor model and wheel it over to where he was working. We wait a few more minutes and he wheels the chair out to me. He said "you had the arm rests on the wrong side too." Um... sorry but that wasn't even possible with the way the arm rests were made. They could only be screwed into one side of the chair! It wasn't possible to do them backwards. I say thank you and start walking out. I notice the base of the chair is dusty. I run my fingers across and it is really dirty. The metal bracket between the base and back of the chair has a layer of dust. I said to my mom "He gave me the floor model!" Without telling me or saying anything along the lines of yes, the chair was defective...he just tried to be sneaky and give me the dusty floor model without even saying anything. Well not saying anything other than how I put the chair together incorrectly - but I didn't! I'm not confrontational. I didn't turn around and say "Why is my new chair so dusty?" But I've been very upset by his dishonesty/customer service. I'm not one to call and complain. But should I? I'm happy with the chair, I got a great deal with it being $36 cheaper with my discount. But still. Grrr.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! YES!!! Call and complain . . . I cannot believe you didn't say something right then. You know my temper, I probably would have chewed someones ears right off. But absolutely, definitely call and complain (better yet, go back and see if the floor model is crooked).

Julie said...

I agree with Tricia! I probably would've said something at the store, but I know you are such a nicer person! That would make me mad too. I always feel that way, that people treat women differently because we are women. Grr!!!

Unknown said...

I'm not confrontational either. That's why people like us get railroaded all the time. That is horrible customer service!! I don't have any advice for you, just want to tell you I feel for you as a fellow non-confrontational person. UGH! Sorry for your frustration...you need some chocolate! At least the chair was cheaper!!