February 20, 2010

PW's Chili

I'm still trying new recipes from Pioneer Woman's new cookbook. This past week I made Simple, Perfect Chili. I couldn't find it on her website to link it so I'll post the recipe below. We enjoyed the chili. The first night I served it with fritos and shredded cheese. She recommended that and called it Frito Chili pie or something. With the leftovers I made baked potatoes and then we topped them with the chili and cheese. I think it has a taco seasoning flavor but better. I kept it plain - she has a list of optional ingredients you can add. Here is the recipe - it is very simple.

2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon oregano
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1/4 teasponn cayenne pepper, optional (I left this out for the boys)
2 Tablespoons chili powder
2 lbs ground beef
8 oz tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup masa (corn flour)

Optional ingredients:
1 can pinto beans or kidney beans
1 jalapeno seeded and diced
1 can diced tomatoes and chilies

She recommends you serve with shredded cheddar, chopped onion, and fritos.

Place ground beef in a large pot and add garlic. Cook meat until brown. Drain. Pour in tomato sauce, spices, and salt. Stir together and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If mixture becomes overly dry add in 1/2 cup water as needed. (I added this once toward the beginning in case I forgot to check it often enough...). After 1 hour mix masa and 1/2 cup water in a small bowl. Stir together. Pour into the chili and stir. If adding optional ingredients add those in now and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve!

No comments: