February 7, 2009

Wishing for a clean house.

So, a couple days ago I ran across this blog that posts about cleaning, organizing etc. The lady has a daily cleaning list, weekly cleaning list, and monthly/seasonal cleaning lists. Just looking at those lists makes me wonder how she has time for anything else. I think she and her husband don't have any kids yet but I know she works full time. She also has daily workout routines. She has dinner parties etc all the time. She decorates for theses, makes centerpieces, has etiquitte posts about how to set the table, how to be a host, and what she does for overnight guests. It's crazy. It sounds like she does all of this by herself with occasional help from her husband. Her house looks perfect. It's decorated, down to changing decorations for the season, even the drapes, throws, and pillows get changed in the living room for the season. Anyway, there are a few good ideas I got from reading some of her blog (it's weird, I keep wanting to read more even though her perfectionism and motivation kills me!!).
I don't want to be that anal or to be so involved with my cleaning that I don't spend quality time with my children. But I'll admit, my house is usually not clean. It bothers me! We try to put things away and stay on top of the cleaning but it just doesn't always happen. In no time a picked up house goes to a trashed house around here. There is so much cleaning that needs to be done. But, I just don't want to do it. Am I lazy? What's wrong with me? Please don't think we live in a pig sty or anything, we try! The windows are so dirty, the glass and the inside of them. The carpet needs to be shampooed. It has spots all over it since the last cleaning. I've thought of having certain tasks I do each day but when I get home from work around 4 I spend time with the family, check email/blogs, make dinner, clean up, play with boys. Then we start getting them ready for bed. Generally by 8:30 they're in bed and Ty's still up. Then I have to get everything ready for work the next day. Before I know it, it's 9 o'clock and I'm so tired I don't want to clean. Maybe it's also my attitude b/c I feel like after working all day at school, then coming home and being a mom, I should get at least 30min-1hr to relax before bed. What I'm saying is I don't want to start cleaning at 9pm. I have to wake up at 5:30am.
So, someone who has any ideas for how to get my house clean regularly PLEASE HELP! I'm not looking for a perfect house, but I wish it were clean (not just picked up). Unfortunately we don't have $ to hire a house cleaner so please don't suggest that!! I just feel like there is so much to do all the time with the house, work, kids, etc etc etc. Thanks for listening to me vent. Feels good to get it off my chest. I've got the quality time with my kids down, I've got cooking meals for the family down, now I need to get more cleaning and exercise into my routine.

4 comments:

Patti Money said...

I think your priorities are very much in order: family time, nutrition, and then cleaning. And of course you all are so active with church, since Andy's on staff. I understand your frustration, because I deal with the same thing. It's just tough being a mom and working full-time. Even when your husband helps out a lot (like ours do). Honestly, I'm amazed that how much you do get accomplished with three young boys, a husband, and a full-time job!

Team Mitchell & Crew said...

Clean houses are for when the kids are in college! I share your frustrations and have since learned to walk around the piles. I still have people over on occassion and what not, but my house is tbe example of a 2 income family, working full time, with children. They'll be time for the cleaning when they grow up. I'm right there with ya!!!!

Laura said...

I believe there are 2 kinds of people: those that have a slight chemical imbalance and enjoy cleaning and so always have a clean house, and the rest of us - welcome.
I pretty sure your kids would rather spend time with you than in a super clean and tidy house.
We try to declutter our closets and things a few times of year - it helps to make room for the things we do need and use. I do the Clean Sweep method (from TLC): a keep, toss, and sell pile. I've even made some money at garage sales.
Have a good weekend relaxing with your family.

Stephanie said...

Alyssa I think you read my mind! Our house is like that too! Three kids, full time jobs, homework, clarinet lessons, etc...who the heck has time to clean? We pick up and when I do REALLY clean, it lasts for about an hour if I am lucky. Right now, I just figure house cleanliness is low on the list until the kids are much older and help out more or I have nothing else to do! Remember...your true friends don't care what your house looks like. Your kids won't remember how clean the house was, they will remember the time you spent with them. :)