April 15, 2009

Tiramasu

I made Tiramasu for Easter lunch. It was really good! Recipe below- I left out the brandy and noted my other changes.

Tiramasu

Espresso Syrup
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup strong brewed espresso coffee (I bought 5 shots at McDonald's and had plenty)
1/4 cup italian or domestic brandy, optional

Mascarpone Filling
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 pound mascarpone cheese, softened to room temperature

2 pkgs lady fingers (I found these in the refrigerated section at Meijer)
cocoa powder for dusting the surface

For the espresso syrup, combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat, cool, add coffee and brandy if using. (I just poured the sugar into my hot espresso, stirred until it dissolved, then added the water).

For the filling, whip cream with sugar and vanilla in stand mixer until soft peaks form. Fold softened mascarpone into whipped cream.

To assemble, place a layer of lady fingers in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Spoon half of the syrup over ladyfingers. Spread with half of mascarpone filling. Repeat lady fingers, syrup, filling.

Cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate up to 24 hours before serving. Right before serving lightly shake cocoa powder on surface.

No comments: