September 1, 2009

Veggie Chili

I made Veggie Chili Sunday night and ended up being the only one in my house to eat the chili! So when I was eating it for lunch on Monday at school I told my team about the recipe and how no one would eat it in my house except for me and Tyler. We decided I should bring in the chili and we could all enjoy it for lunch the next day. So I took it in today and everyone loved their lunch! I brought shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and corn muffins. This is a very healthy recipe: 266 calories, 12 g. protein, 52 g. carbohydrate, 14 g. fiber, 3 g. fat, 0 mg cholesterol... but this doesn't include the light sour cream or cheese!

Veggie Chili
5 1/2 cups water, divided
3/4 cups bulgur wheat
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red pepper
2 T chili powder
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin (I added only 1 cup on accident...just realized that! It was plenty!)
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 cup frozen corn
1 can black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Put 3 cups of water and the bulgur in a medium microwave safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high until bulgur is tender and most of water is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil in a dutch oven. Add onion and pepper and saute 5 minutes. Add chili powder, garlic, and cumin. Saute until fragrant 1-2 minutes. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups water, tomatoes, pumpkin, zucchini, and corn. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender. Stir in beans and bulgur; heat through. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.

No comments: