September 18, 2008

First Outing

Yesterday was a busy day for us. We dropped Wilson off at preschool at 9am. Then we dropped Luke off at Parent's Day Out. Then we headed to the doctor for Ty's first check up. He was up to 9 lbs, which means he had gained an ounce since we left the hospital. His jaundice hadn't increased either. He had a good visit and goes back when he is two weeks old. Next, we went back to Luke's school and picked him up for his eye appointment. Luke has been doing a weird blinking thing for a few weeks. When I had him at the doctor last week I asked about it and we were referred to a pediatric opthamologist. So off we went. They tested his vision and checked out his eyes etc. They are still a little dilated today! His vision is good and when we left we had eye drops (in case it has something to do with allergies) and a follow up appointment in 1 month. Our plan was to ignore the blinking but note how often, which sides, and when he does it. This morning the eye doctor called back and he had spoken to the pediatrician yesterday. They are both still concerned with what is causing this. The eye doctor seemed to think it was stress related. But now they want us to take the extra precautionary measure and have an MRI done to make sure it has nothing to do with his central nervous system. Apparently there is a type of epilepsy that can have this symptom... So now I need to call the doctor and get the MRI set up. I know he will have to be sedated. I'm a little worried but am trying to remember that I shouldn't worry until I know I have something to worry about. Hopefully this will just be one step further to make sure nothing is wrong. Anyway, the appointment went a little long and Andy ended up leaving to get Wilson while Luke's eyes were dilating and we were back in the waiting room. He took Ty since I can't handle both of them on my own yet. When he came back Luke and I were finished so it worked out fine. At this point we started loading up the van and Andy changed Ty's diaper. Tyler is a little stinker! He has this habit of pooping when you open his diaper to change him. Then, when you get the poop cleaned up and start applying the vaseline to his circumcision he decides to pee!! So Andy went through the last two diapers I had packed right then and he pooped again! (I packed 4 diapers! Now the bag has 8!!). At this point we were both worn out from the morning and I was in pain and Ty was wanting to eat. Little stressed... We went through McDonald's drive through and went home. Andy changed Ty's diaper again and then I fed him. Luke and I "picnicked" in the bed (he thought that was fun!) and then I took a nap with Luke and Ty. We survived our first outing - the rest of the day was much more relaxing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry too much about Luke. Taylor started this thing when she was in 3rd or 4th grade where her eyes would twitch and she would do this weird shaking of her arms. She ended up having a mild form of Tourette's with the symptoms exacerbabted by stress. She has grown out of it. Maybe this is what is going on with Luke. Just a thought! Is he going to have the MRI done here so that the ICU docs can sedate him? Hope you are healing quickly -- I will come see you next week maybe after you get some rest!! Call if you need anything!!

Cara said...

I'm sorry to hear Luke has to do the MRI. I think it is good though to rule out seizures. There is a type of seizure called absence (I think) that involves this eye blinking but not the typical body movement seen with seizures. I'm not saying he has this by any means, but I do think it is good to rule it out. I also had thought of tourettes.

Silas was sedated for his CT scan and it was totally fine. I'm sure they will send him to UK Children's. Let me know if you need anything!