August 27, 2008

Ultrasound Update

Had a great ultrasound of Tyler today! He is so cute, I'm very ready to hold him and meet him! He is still measuring 2 weeks big. His estimated weight is 7 pounds 4 oz at almost 36 weeks pregnant. My Dr. still says "the baby is huge!". I'm not dilated. Here is her recommendation- we're not sure what to do. The house is divided right now. I'm definitely one to follow a doctor's recommendations!!

She recommends that I have an amniocentisis next Thursday to see if his lungs are mature. She said, if they are mature I would be induced the next day. If they were not mature we would wait for nature to take it's course, not inducing before 39 weeks. She said the baby will only get bigger, and the complications of an amnio now aren't a big deal because it will be fine to go ahead and deliver if a complication arises (ie: fetal distress, go into labor, or water breaks). I also have plenty of amniotic fluid. The solution to all of the above complications is to deliver the baby and he would be 37 weeks. I point blank asked "Is this what you recommend?" and she said yes. She is a very good OB. She is looking at the whole picture- the baby's safety, my safety, etc. I think she is afraid he'll get so big that it will be difficult for me to deliver him. What should we do???

6 comments:

Barb said...

Have the amnio. At 37 weeks, Annikas lungs wre developed. She was only 6lbs at birth. At 37 weeks, Sascahs lungs were NOT developed. SHe was 8lbs 14oz at birth. SO, size has no bearing on lung development. Just have a c-section if baby is too big. It is no big deal. AMnio is not painful, just a little freaky is all. Praying.

Cara said...

I second the amnio. Do it. Otherwise he might end up being 12 lbs or something! And if the lungs are not developed, a c-section isn't that bad if you need it in the end.

I know it is right around the time for preschool stuff but I'll be there anyway and can pick up info and take Will to meet his teacher. You will have plenty of opportunities to be there and meet them.

Sarah said...

Hey, wow, I have deja vu! And I DID have a 12 lber at 38 weeks!! (almost anyway!) My doc offered the amnio but I turned her down just because I was scared of it, now I would totally do it. The c-section was really fine and I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't had it! His head was the size of a 40 weeker at 36 weeks! Seriously, we should talk! :) Good luck in your decision!

Anonymous said...

Have the amnio. I think it would be the best decision, especially if he is that big already. A C-section wouldn't be a big deal either, but I am sure you would rather deliver the other way. Good luck!

BARDLY said...

I'm going to disagree with everyone above. I work in OB nursing and I just went to a conference called "Healthy Babies are worth the wait." It's not just lung development to consider. A huge percentage of brain development happens in the last few weeks of pregnancy, even the last week. For instance, if Ty is planning on coming on his own at, say, 40 weeks, then inducing and having him at 37 weeks means he is being deprived of 3 weeks brain growth. I had never looked at it that way before, but it changed the way I look at inductions unless they are for medical reasons. Of course, Aaron was induced at 37 weeks after an amnio and he is fine. So, there you have my medical opinion and my personal experience. Not sure what either one is worth! Angie

Julie said...

Hey Alyssa. I love reading your blog. I just started one of my own, you should check it out. jwestfamily.blogspot.com. As for the baby, I pray you make a decision that feels right for you and your family. Congrats and I hope everything goes well!