January 17, 2009

Paw's Chili and Cheese Muffins

This post is dedicated to my Paw-Paw, one of the best cook's I've ever known. I love you Paw!

One of my favorite foods of all time has been my Paw-Paw's Chili. Over the last 2-3 years I have tried my hand at making his chili. I finally have figured out how to apapt his reciple slightly to make it work in my own kitchen. I typed the recipe up tonight after making it for dinner so I wouldn't forget. For me chili isn't chili without spaghetti! I also decided to make cheese muffins from the Pioneer Woman Cook's blog. They were delicious! They went well with the chili. You can find her recipe here. She has helpful step by step directions and photos! They were so simple to make and turned out very tasty. I made a double batch since Mimi and Poppy, Stephanie, Meg, Lily and Trey came over for dinner. If you try the chili, let me know how it turns out!

Paw’s Chili – Cincinnati Style

4 ½ - 5 lbs lean ground beef
2 T vinegar
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
3 onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
1 T garlic salt
1 t cinnamon
4 T cumin
4 T chili powder
1 t black pepper
2-3 cans red beans – OPTIONAL
29 oz can tomato puree
46 oz can tomato juice
4 cups water, divided
Cooked spaghetti
Toppings: shredded cheese, Tabasco, chili powder, crackers

Brown ground beef on medium heat. Drain. Add vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Mix in onions and garlic. Cook on low (so the meat doesn’t burn) for 20 minutes. Add spices (next 5 ingredients) and 2 cups water. Turn heat back to medium and cook 30 minutes, adding an additional cup of water when necessary to keep the meat from burning to the bottom of the pan. Next, add puree, tomato juice and 1 more cup of water. Stir and turn heat to medium high. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Serve over cooked spaghetti with toppings of your choice. I leave the beans out of mine.

No comments: