July 15, 2008

A New Focus

We looked at 2 homes yesterday- they were ok, just not the one for us. Like Andy said, if we could have combined parts from both to make one we'd have been really happy! One was out right away because there was only 1 bathroom upstairs- I don't want to be sharing a bathroom with 3 sons! The other full bath was downstairs even though there wasn't a bedroom down there. Plus the basement was really small. The other house was good but we weren't very impressed with the kitchen. It had less cabinets than our current house and you had to walk out into the hallway to get to the pantry. We liked the basement there and it had 2 baths upstairs and a 1/2 bath downstairs. The current owners smoke in it so that was a negative as well. Plus the shower in the master bath was a little weird. SO, we came home and I thought we'd look at the 3rd home we were interested in still later this week.


But today I woke up and had this feeling- that maybe my mom is right :), and maybe we should just stay where we are for our sanity at this point. Especially since the other house didn't work out. Maybe this just ISN'T the time for us to move. The baby will be here before we know it, school will be starting very soon, and our house would still need a lot of work to put it up on the market. Mom has been very supportive about the house hunt but she has also been reminding me that we can make it work here at our house. It might be easier to have less house to keep up with when we're so busy with 3 boys under age 5. Plus, we got our NEW van! So we can at least get around town with 3 kids- ha ha. So, are you ready for my new focus? - If you know me very well, you know how I almost always have something I'm focused on and can't get it out of my mind until it's done. It was the house. Then the van. Slightly still holding onto a new house. Now it is fixing up our house so we can continue to enjoy it! Here is what I want to do:


1. Paint the new door to my bedroom that has been the natural wood color (it was new) for MONTHS. Andy replaced the jamb and door so it would close. Today, I have primed it and painted it! Might still need a 2nd coat.

2. Redo the bathroom in the hall so it can be the boys' bathroom using all the cute new bathroom stuff I bought them at Target. Read about that here. Mom and I went to Lowe's and I got GREEN paint (for the top half above the white wainscoating), a roller, a new switchplate (white), and a new light fixture. This requires stripping wallpaper border, Andy repairing a small hole in the wall, prepping the walls for painting, etc.

3. Paint the shutters and the front door. Mom and I picked up some samples at Lowe's. I want to keep it the same color because we love it but it seriously needs a fresh coat of paint. We've never painted them and we've lived here 7 years. I found a perfect match!

4. Get the soffit that is rotting replaced with siding!

5. Before mid-September move Wilson and Luke into the same bedroom and de-clutter the toys. (That is the one I'm worried about. )
I'm sure there will be more so I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Cara said...

I've been feeling like you should stay put this year too. By the time you fix up your house,sell it and find a new one the baby would be here and it would be mass chaos!

I think you can make it work for a year and then look next year. That will also give you a whole year to fix up your house so it will sell quickly. maybe list it in May or something.

I'd move the boys ASAP. You know how Will freaks out when you start back to school and that change might make things worse. That will also give them a couple months to be settled before the baby gets here. Just my two cents. :)

Anonymous said...

If you want help de-cluttering just call! You know how Curtis and I like to clean things out!!